Manchester Student Accommodation and Housing, Student Rooms and Sharded Houses

Quick Response

Mobile contact number

07944 079878

call now for a quote


Manchester Student housing accommodation and digs

manchester digs

City of Manchester metropolitan borough, which has city status, has a population of 452,000. Manchester lies at the centre of the wider Greater Manchester Urban Area which has a population of 2,240,230, the United Kingdom's third largest conurbation. It is also the second largest urban zone in the UK and the fourteenth most populated in Europe.

Forming part of the English Core Cities Group, and often described as the "Capital of the North", Manchester today is a centre of the arts, the media, higher education and commerce. In a poll of British business leaders published in 2006, Manchester was regarded as the best place in the UK to locate a business. A report commissioned by Manchester Partnership, published in 2007, showed Manchester to be the "fastest-growing city" economically. It is the third most visited city in the United Kingdom by foreign visitors and is now often considered to be the second city of the UK. Manchester was the host of the 2002 Commonwealth Games, and among its other sporting connections are its two Premier League football teams, Manchester United and Manchester City.

Historically, most of the city was a part of Lancashire, with areas south of the River Mersey being in Cheshire. Manchester was the world's first industrialised city and played a central role during the Industrial Revolution. It was the dominant international centre of textile manufacture and cotton spinning. During the 19th century it acquired the nickname Cottonopolis, suggesting it was a metropolis of cotton mills. Manchester City Centre is now on a tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, mainly due to the network of canals and mills constructed during its 19th-century development

Should you choose University halls or private halls? whatever your choice is use Nicks student removals to get yout here.

Private Halls

When looking for accommodation, you will come across very fancy brochures from private halls of residence like Unite, Cosmopolitan, Jarvis UPP, Liberty Living, etc. Private providers are increasingly present in the student market and will entice you with offer of ensuite-bathrooms, broadband internet and pictures of beautiful and silly laughing students. Be alert that private halls of residence are frequently more expensive than university ones. However, they do tend to be more modern and have more facilities. The pick is up to you, but make sure you know what's included in your rent and what is not, and how long your contract is.

University Accommodation

The accommodation available in Manchester is one of the many benefits of studying here. We offer a larger number of places in university owned accommodation. There are more than 9,200 places accessible, almost all of which are in the sphere of two or three miles of the university campus.

The accommodation to be had is a assortment from modern, self-catering flats, through to traditional academy style Halls of Residence. Your Hall is where you'll meet new friends and use up a lot of your free time. They are self contained communities with their own bars, common rooms and programmes of social activities.

Halls of residence

UK halls although the resident academic responsible for the hall is known by the terms of warden and may be supported by a team of vice-wardens, sub-wardens or senior-members; forming the Senior Common Room. These are often students or academic staff at the relevant university or college. Many UK halls also have a JCR Junior Common Room committee, usually made up of second year students who stayed in that hall during their first year. The facilities in the hall are often managed by an individual termed the Bursar. University halls usually have maintenance and cleaning staff to maintain the cleanliness of common rooms including lobbies and bathrooms. Students are normally required to maintain the cleanliness of their own rooms and private or semi private bathrooms

Many colleges and universities have halls of residence. You usually get your own room and share cooking, bathroom and toilet facilities with other students. Some halls provide meals and bed-linen but most are self-catering. Many first year students are offered a place in halls before they start their course. If this happens, make sure you read any paperwork you receive and complete and return any forms on time. There aren't usually enough places for you to stay in halls throughout your course, so you may have to look at other options later on.

You should be given an agreement explaining the rights and responsibilities you have before you move in. In most cases it will say that you are an occupier with basic protection. This means that you can be evicted fairly easily but the college or university has to give you at least four weeks' written notice and get a court order before you have to leave. Take time to read your hall agreement to make sure you understand what it says before you sign it. If there is anything that is unclear or unfair, get advice. It may not be legally correct.

Most halls of residence are owned by the college or university but in some cases they are owned and managed by private companies. If this is the case, the college or university still decides who gets a place but the company is your landlord. It is responsible for collecting the rent and managing services such as cleaning and repairs.